Things to Consider When Choosing a Fabric
When is time to put a beautiful new cover on your favorite chair or sofa, there are many things to consider.
Softness versus Durability
While this is not always the case, I've noticed that many times the "soft" fabrics don't last very long. Either the:
- The fabric wears on you (meaning the threads of the fabric wears on your skin and therefore it lasts longer)
- OR you wear on the fabric (the fabric is so soft that your usage wears on the fabric so that it doesn't last as long).
- There is a whole range between these two extremes
- Not everything may follow these paths.
Many times you have to make a choice between a fabric that you really like (its soft feel, its texture, etc) verus one that will last a long time. There is no wrong choice here. Either way is OK. It's just a personal choice: Do you want to be soft to the touch OR do you want it to last a long time?
To help the fabric to last longer you might:
- have armcovers, head covers, and slipcovers made
- have a set of house clothes that you wear around home. If you wear soft clothing, it will not wear on the fabric as much. Compare that to (for example) wearing jeans (especially new jeans) around the house. Jeans generally have sharp cornered pockets, sometimes they have rivets at the corners of the pocket. These sharp edge can gradually wear into the soft fabric.
In recent years some fabric suppliers have been testing their fabrics for durability. They use a test called the Wyzenbeek method, which measures double rubs.
Now, keep in mind, that double rubs are not the only factor in determing durabilitly. Other considerations are color fastness, stain resistance.
Bright Colors versus
Plain bright colors (or even plain white) will help to bright up an otherwise dull drab room.
On the other side, a very plain colored fabric will show strains, soil, and scuff marks very easily. To keep the fabric clean often involves changing one's lifestyle:
- taking shoes off at the front door,
- showering and changing into clean clothes when one comes home or comes in from outside.